Jalapeño Cheddar Flax Rolls by Caitlin Spence Burguet
Low carb, vegetarian, diabetic-friendly bread! This spicy version was adapted from the one-minute cheddar bread and buns by djfoodie.com.
- 1 cup golden or brown flax meal*
- 4 large cage-free eggs
- ¾ cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 t salt
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t cumin powder or cumin seeds
- 1 t crushed red pepper
- canned or fresh jalapeno slices (amount depends on your desire)
- 2 t baking powder
- 2 T melted butter or 2 T olive oil
- oil spray of choice (Pam, organic olive oil spray, etc)
* You can either purchase pre-ground flax or (preferably) grind whole-flax yourself in a coffee grinder or Nutribullet.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a medium-sized bowl. Feel free to be creative and add/subtract ingredients depending on your personal tastes. Spray the bottom of a standard-sized coffee mug with oil spray. Fill the bottom of the mug with a half inch of the batter. Microwave for 60 seconds (check after a minute to see if batter is fully baked (not gooey on top) If not, microwave for an additional 15 seconds at a time until baked). Use an oven mitt to remove from microwave, dump muffin onto a cookie-cooling rack, and repeat. Cut in half and top with butter, natural (no sugar-added) peanut butter, cream cheese, or whatever strikes your fancy! The options are limitless. Enjoy! Store in an air-tight container at room temperature. Eat within a few days to ensure freshness. These muffins make an excellent addition to every meal just like regular bread and can be toasted or oven-warmed prior to a meal.