Today we have another guest post by Holly…enjoy..
Yoga For Lower Back Pain
By Holly Garrett
There’s no doubt about it—lower back pain is a stinger. Thankfully there are some things we can do in yoga to alleviate the pain naturally and effectively. Marjariasana (Cat Pose) is one of my favorite go-to postures when it comes to lower back pain. It strengthens the lower back and abdomen while lengthening the spine. It also massages the kidneys, adrenal glands, and the thyroid. Here is how to do it:
Marjariasana (Cat Pose)
This pose is also commonly referred to as “Cat/Cow”
- Begin in a table position on hands and knees with the knees directly below the hips and the wrists directly below the shoulders.
- Lengthen the spine from the tailbone to the crown of the head, relax the shoulders down away from the ears, and draw the shoulder blades down the back.
- As you inhale, slowly tilt the pelvis forward and expand the chest outward creating an arch in your spine as you lift your gaze upwards.
- As you exhale, scoop the pelvis under creating space in the lower back; lower the crown of the head, round the spine and drawing the belly button inward as you expel all the air in your lungs.
- Inhale as you slowly arch the back and return to the position in Step 3.
- Repeat this process as many times as you’d like, moving slowly and making sure to connect the breath to the movements.”
Once again, thank you Holly..